If you new to trading altogether, then you’re in the right place. I will take you through my journey with online trading from 2005 on words.
Before starting we will try to understand the meaning of Demat and trading account.
Demat Account is short for dematerialisation account and makes the process of holding investments like shares, bonds, government securities, Mutual Funds, Insurance and ETFs easier, doing away the hassles of physical handling and maintenance of paper shares and related documents.
A trading account is an online investment account that traders use to purchase securities and monitor trades. It allows investors to buy and sell securities such as shares, commodities
I opened my first Demat account in 2003 in ICICI Direct after getting my first job in MNC and Demat account was free with my salary account with ICICI Bank and I was getting few company stocks as well so I preferred ICICI as I was not having much knowledge at that time on stock market.
I had no knowledge of stock investing at that time so I thought brokers like ICICI or Sharekhan would help me pick the right stocks.
I kept on buying and selling as per their recommendation but later I realised that I am losing a lot of money in the brokerage because ICICI was charging as high as 0.5% on my trades.
I switched to Sharekhan to save brokerage but they were also charging 0.1% on the buy/sell transactions.
I came to know about discount broker Zerodha in 2015 that was charging ZERO on stock delivery and flat Rs. 20 per transaction for day trading.
In the last 2-3 years, many companies have started offering Demat & trading services at flat rates. New companies waive off account opening fees and also offer some additional perks. If you buy stocks worth Rs. 1,00,000 then you would pay approx 500 Rs.+ taxes to ICICI but the same you can buy at zero charges + govt fees + taxes from discount brokers like Zerodha, Upstox and 5Paisa.
Our Top Picks For Best Demat & Trading Account in India 2021
Every broker has some advantages and disadvantages. Discount brokers focus on improving their trading platforms while full-service brokers focus on improving customer service. Your experience with discount broking customer service may not be good but you would save a lot of money in brokerage.
Best Demat Account With Lowest Brokerage in India 2021
#1. Zerodha Demat Account Review
Zerodha is the largest and most trusted discount broker with a user base of more than 30 Lakh. The biggest reason for Zerodha’s success is its customer support which is better than all other discount brokers.
Zerodha charges a lower brokerage fee of 0.03% or Rs. 20 per executed order whichever is lower. You can save up to 90% as compared to other full-service stockbrokers if you trade in high volumes. The stock delivery trade is free at Zerodha.
You will get the trading platforms with advanced charts and other tools for better technical analysis with Zerodha.
Why Zerodha is at #1
- Most trusted broker in India
- Fix Rs. 20 per trade on intraday trades
- Zero brokerage on the stock delivery
- Good customer support
Best charts and tools for technical analysis
- Demat & trading account opening charges – Rs 200
- Commodity account opening charges – Rs 100
- Annual maintenance charges – Rs 300 per year
Zerodha Brokerage Charges
- Equity Delivery- zero brokerage
- Equity Intraday- 0.03% or Rs 20 per executed order whichever is lower
- Equity Futures- 0.03% or Rs 20 per executed order whichever is lower
- Equity Options- flat Rs 20 per executed order
Zerodha Trading Platforms
- Zerodha Kite 3.0 – A complete trading solution for the investors and traders that provides streaming price data, multi-market access, advanced charts and simple UI.
- Kite by Zerodha Mobile App – A mobile app version of Kite 3.0 for a seamless trading experience, especially for the young generation (Android/iOS) smartphone users.
- Zerodha Coin – A platform that lets you buy direct mutual funds online without paying any commissions.
Key Benefits of Zerodha
- Delivery is totally free. No brokerage on delivery.
- No minimum cap of brokerage per transaction.
- Maximum brokerage charge capped to Rs 20 irrespective of transaction volume.
- Provide a margin from 4 to 15 times.
#2. Upstox Demat & Trading Account Review
Upstox is one of the best discount brokers in India due to cheap brokerage charges, advanced technology platforms, and high margins.
Upstox charges a fixed brokerage of Rs. 20 per trade for intraday irrespective of the trading volume with free stock delivery. You can save a good amount in brokerages when compared to other full brokers.
You will get the fastest & best online trading platform in India with Upstox which is the main requirement for trading.
Why Upstox is at number #2
- Free demat & trading account opening
- Rs. 20 per trade for equity delivery
- Zero stock deliver brokerage
- Fast account opening process
Upstox Limited Time offer
- Free Demat & trading account opening
- Prepaid Brokerage worth Rs 500 for up to 30 days
- Free Digital Gold worth Rs 51
Upstox Account Regular Fee & Charges
- Upstox Demat and Trading Account Opening – Free (limited time offer)
- Upstox Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs. 25 per month
Upstox Trading Brokerage Charges
|Equity Delivery||Rs. 0|
|Equity Intraday||Lower of Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.05%|
|Equity Futures||Lower of Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.05%|
|Equity Options||Rs. 20 per executed order|
|Currency Futures & Options||Lower of Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.05%|
|Commodity F&O||Lower of Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.05%|
Advantages of Upstox Trading Account
- No brokerage charges for delivery
- Great trading platforms
- Fix & low brokerage irrespective of trade volume
What We Didn’t Like
- You cannot make the investment to IPO and FPO
#3.5Paisa Demat Account Review
5Paisa charges the lowest brokerage charges of flat Rs 10. per trade under the addon Ultra Trader pack. You can place a single trade worth crores and pay brokerage of just Rs 10 per trade.
The Ultra trader pack comes with a monthly price of Rs. 999. Without the pack, 5Paisa charges a flat brokerage fee of Rs. 20 per executed order.
You can use a 5Paisa mobile trading app for trading. 5Paisa mobile app is the best mobile app in India in terms of easy usability, user experience, and fast speed.
You would get your 5Paisa account opened on the same day on submitting all the documents. If you are looking for the lowest brokerage demat account, then you go with 5Paisa.
Why 5Paisa is at #3
- Lowest brokerage charges of Rs 10 per trade
- Zero brokerage on delivery
- Fastest account opening process
- Offers the best trading app with easy to use.
5Paisa Annual Charges Details
5paisa offers an All-in-one investment account with 2 different addon packs
- Research & Idea Pack – Rs. 499 per month. Brokerage Rs. 20 per trade and AMC Rs. 45 per month.
- Ultra Trader Pack – Rs. 999 per month. Brokerage Rs. 10 per trade and NIL AMC charges.
You need to pay maintenance charges only for the traded month under the Research & Idea pack.
5paisa account opening is FREE.
Margin provided by 5Paisa
|Trading Segment||Research & Idea Pack||Ultra Trader Pack|
|Equity intraday buy||Upto 20x||Upto 20x|
|Equity intraday sell||Upto 10x||Upto 10x|
|Equity Options – long||1x||1x|
|Equity Options – short||3.5x||4x on normal days,|
6x on expiry days
|Currency Options||Long – 1x|
Short – 3x
|Long – 1x|
Short – 3x
|Commodity Futures||Upto 2x||Upto 2x|
5Paisa Brokerage Charges
5Paisa offers two addon plans – the Research & Idea pack and the Ultra Trader Pack. 5Paisa brokerage charges under different both the pack are under;
|Trading Segment||Research & Idea Pack||Ultra Trader Pack|
|Equity delivery||Rs. 20 per executed order||Rs. 10 per executed order|
|Equity Intraday||Rs. 20 per executed order||Rs. 10 per executed order|
|Equity derivatives||Rs. 20 per executed order||Rs. 10 per executed order|
|Currency derivatives||Rs. 20 per executed order||Rs. 10 per executed order|
|Commodity derivatives||Rs. 20 per executed order||Rs. 10 per executed order|
Note – Under the Ultra Trader pack, the first 100 trades are free every month. From 101st trade, you need to pay a flat fee of Rs. 10 per executed order on all segments.
5Paisa Trading Platforms
- 5Paisa Trader Station Web – 5Paisa is for the low volume traders. The web-based platform gives easy access to portfolio, positions and holdings data.
- 5Paisa .EXE Trader Terminal – The trader terminal is for high volume traders which provide a powerful interface and fast execution. You get a real-time market price, advanced charts with tools and past stock prices.
- 5Paisa App – The app is for trading on smartphones with easy access to markets and a great user experience.